Sunday, November 23, 2008

Chula Vista Boys and Girls Club

I have finally started volunteering my time at the Boys and Girls Club out here in Chula Vista, CA. I started this past week, which was a recovery week for me, so I was able to put a few good hours in at my new location. It was nice to return to working with kids. I had a little time off from working at the Boys and Girls Clubs after my move from Minnesota to California this past October. It definitely took some time to adjust to my training schedule and find room in between training to volunteer at the B&GC.
I made a few trips to the B&GC location I am volunteering at before I started officially this week to meet with the on site-director. I also got a chance to meet some of the kids. The actual club is a very nice facility. The kids are very fortunate to have such a nice place to spend time after school. There are about six pool tables in the game room. There is a large gymnasium too. A large skate park is also a part of the club. This is a very impressive skate park, I only wish I new how to skateboard! The club is very well organized and run very well. The kids seem very happy when they are there.
After spending the week getting to know the kids and the other employees I am very excited to spend the year volunteering my time here. I already ran some kids through some mini-workouts. Some of the kids that attend the club are overweight and some have a problem with type II diabetes. The director of the club asked me to put some of the kids through a workout program. I am excited to be able to help the kids with this. It is especially helpful to me that there is a facility that can accommodate such a program.
On a side note, training is continuing to go extremely well! I am loving the training center and the training partners I have. I couldn't be happier with my present situation. I hope it continues to go as well as it is. We just completed a recovery week, so much of my time was spent resting. We had only one a day practices instead of two a days. This was a much needed rest week. This week will be spent training hard, just as the week before the recovery week, even though this is Thanksgiving week and many people are home. I will be staying out here in California during Thanksgiving break. Hopefully I'll be able to find a good turkey dinner. I will definitely miss my family.
I hope you all enjoy Thanksgiving and give thanks or are thankful for everything you have. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: