Sunday, April 11, 2010

Big Throws

I have been working with the Mesa Ridge High School track and field team for three weeks now, and they have been getting personal bests in recent meets. Yesterday two of the girls, who are both sophomores took 3rd and 2nd in the discus at their meet. I'm pretty excited about this. I'm not going to take the credit for their success though, they are both excellent athletes and have a natural knack for the event, but it is still cool to be associated with their personal improvements. A good athlete can make a coach look good!

The throws squad as a whole is making improvements everyday which is pretty awesome to watch. They are growing as throwers and starting to learn about the events they compete in. It's a great learning experience for me in terms of coaching. As an athlete I know what works for me and what doesn't when working with coaches, so this is a chance for me to test my theories of coaching and see how they work with other, younger athletes. So far, so good! The team will have another meet at the end of the week, so we'll see if they can continue to improve on new marks they have set for themselves.

As far as my training is going, I am nearing competition dates. I am still a little hesitant to enter into a meet, mostly because I'm nervous and have been working on new techniques myself with my coach. The weather has been less than optimal here in Colorado Springs, so I am unable to judge how well I will compete or how far I will throw. There are so many more variables with the weather here to deal with than back in San Diego. I think that will help me become a better thrower in the long run, but it is hard to get used to. Bottom line though, it is time to gear up for competitions!

I started working as a bouncer last week also. It is not the best time to start a new job, nor is it the best job to be doing, but I need to do it. I'm not working everyday, only three nights spread out through the week, so it's not that bad...but definitely not a career job. And no, I don't have any exciting stories to tell yet, which I am thankful for!

2 comments:

goldy said...

Hey Karl, its goldy. My uncle Irv and I were wondering what happend to you? he sent me this link. This is the first time I ever heard of in the arena. Pretty fun coaching high school kids. Really makes you think about technique when your trying to coach these kids. Just talking about and demonstrating and putting these kids in the right positions should help your technique as well. No need to be nervous. I think you will do fine. I'll be in touch. I would like to see a video of a couple of throws. to see what it looks like. later Goldy. P.S. Studt is a bouncer at Sally's. he just got engaged. Trey quit football and is focusing on track.

Unknown said...

Bro!
Working w/high school students is awesome -- I know they keep me young, honest and humble. Plus they make me laugh every day. I hope you have as much fun and as many rewards w/them while you experience this season as their coach. I'm positive they adore you!!! Keep up the great work!
Love,
Ang