Sunday, September 12, 2010

The NFL

The NFL season is finally back! And I am more excited than ever to watch it. Last year ended in heartbreak for my Minnesota Vikings. It was a tough loss to deal with, but without a doubt the most exciting season for the Vikes in a long time. With the addition of Brett Favre the Vikings found new life and an increased competitive edge. I think everyone in who was a Minnesota fan believed the Purple People Eaters would make it to the Super Bowl and ultimately win it. As a native Minnesotan, I can attest to the fact that we don't like to be overly optimistic about things, which is why it went against our nature to believe so heavily in what seemed like a guaranteed thing. Lesson learned.

Well, on top of the NFC Championship loss, Minnesota fans had to deal with not knowing if #4 would come back for another season. I think everyone put it in the back of their minds; no sense in stressing for months, why not just save it for the start of training camp. I'm sure you're well aware of the drama that Minnesota fans dealt with during the first few weeks of practice this year. Not too fun, and all too familiar. Anyways, the Silver Fox came back and hopes are up again, sort of. I'll have plenty to write about the Vikings this year I'm sure.

Another thing I want to mention about the NFL happened in a game today. The Lions and Da Bears were playing and there was a play that has caused a lot of controversy. Check the play out. What was an obvious touchdown was called incomplete. It is shocking, and ridiculous. I could care less about the Detroit Lions, but they were robbed of a win today. At least Calvin Johnson will get a lot of air time as football analyst talk about the play he was the victim of for at least the next week. I still do not understand how the touchdown did not stand. The commentators during the game said there is a "process" for making a legal catch. The player must have complete control of the ball before they hit the ground, but obviously this catch was in complete control. I think there needs to be an immediate review of this rule. I'm a little concerned touchdowns will become more subjective than objective.

No comments: