Sunday, February 27, 2011

My Final Blog

It's been a long time since I last posted a blog. Since moving back to Minnesota, hopefully for the final time, I have been busy and life has taken me in a different direction than I had anticipated. Last year at this time I had just moved from the Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, CA to Colorado Springs, CO to pursue different opportunities. 2010 was a whirlwind of a year for me.

The past few years I have been searching for some balance in my life. Now, I am starting to find that balance. Since October I have been working as a strength coach at a private training facility in Edina, MN, a suburb of Minneapolis. The facility is called 1st Athlete. It has been marketed as a hockey training facility but is not limited to just hockey. I have worked with 6 year old kids all the way to pro level hockey players. It is a challenge, and hard work, but at the same time it doesn't feel like work, if that makes sense. Just a few weeks ago I was promoted to general manager of 1st Athlete. I did not picture myself in such a position a year ago.

With my new job my training has taking a back seat. I am still continuing to find balance with work and training and just having a normal life in general. Hopefully, everything continues to fall into place.

Also, with my new career it is now an appropriate time to retire myself from the In the Arena roster. ITA provided opportunities for me the past 3 years that would have been impossible without my involvement in the organization and ITA's interest in my goals. I feel indebted to Amory Rowe and ITA together for the much needed help they gave to me as a struggling athlete. ITA kept me afloat while I chased a dream with hyper focused enthusiasm. I feel fortunate to have been a part of and witnessed the beginning of ITA and to have met and followed the incredibly talented and driven athletes and founder of In The Arena. I want to thank many times over everyone involved with ITA for helping all the athletes including myself. ITA has groomed me to be a better public servant for today's youth. I have seen the effect a positive role model can have on young people. ITA is facilitating a positive experience for athletes involved with the organization and for kids across the US.

Thank you again Amory and everyone at In the Arena!

No comments: